Who would have thought I’d end up in the kitchen?
It’s kind of a funny story. I love to write about vampires and zombies and spend a heck of a lot of time describing the carnage that ensues, but truth be told, I’m a vegetarian. I haven’t touched red meat in close to 30 years. Once in a while, I break down and steal a piece of my husband’s barbeque chicken pizza. If you want meat, you’ll have to grab a copy of Apocalipstick.
Here’s one of my favorite vegetarian meals. Some of the ingredients might be hard to get in a post-apocalyptic word filled with zombies and vampires, but it remains tasty. It originally came with a Blue Apron subscription, but my husband and I tweaked it. Cauliflower is one of my favorite meat substitutes.
Cauliflower Grain Bowls for Two
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cucumber
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons roasted pistachios
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 lemon
- 3 Tablespoons dried currants
- ½ cup whole wheat couscous
- 4 oz grape tomatoes
- 1 large shallot
- Balsamic vinegar.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- First, peel and cut the shallot. Marinade in balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil. Cut the cauliflower in small florets. Discard the core. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until lightly browned (approximately 25 minutes)
- Prepare couscous as specified
- Dice cucumbers and halve tomatoes. In a bowl, combine cucumbers and tomatoes with shallot. Squeeze the juice of half the lemon into mixture. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and 1 tablespoon water. Mix and season with salt and pepper.
- When couscous is almost ready, fry eggs.
- When couscous is ready, add currants, lemon juice from the other half of the lemon, a drizzle of olive oil, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- On the two plates, divide the couscous. Top with the roasted cauliflower, cucumber-tomato salad, and fried eggs. Drizzle with sour cream and chopped pistachios.
Need a good book with that meal?
Grab your copy today: https://amzn.to/3c1J4FK